For a long time, I remember feeling so frustrated because I was holding on to feelings of guilt, self-judgement, and stories that kept me feeling stuck.
Now in my coaching practice people are bumping up with the same problem “OK so I know I’m holding on to ___________ but how do I let it go?”
How do I let for of the past?
How do I let go of regrets?
Here’s the thing, it’s not easy. Sometimes we’ve been holding onto an old story for years… and maybe even your entire life.
You’re so used to telling yourself this story, and beating yourself up about it, and holding yourself back from something you deep down want because of it.
Today I’m excited to share a powerful process that I’ve used many times to “let go” of stories, and feelings that are no longer serving me.
Here’s a process I use to let go of stories that are no longer serving where I want to go.
- Awareness The first step to letting go is becoming aware that you have been holding onto it and how it’s been holding you back from being happy.
- Time Lime How long has this been coming up for you, when was the first time you remember believing this to be real?
- Feeling The Feelings Have you fully processed/felt the feelings associated with this event? In order to clear it you need to fully feel it.
- What Triggers This Story What are your triggers?
- How is this sabotaging your happiness? How is this story been holding you back from being the happiest version of yourself? (Don’t hold back here this step is important)
- Declare It! Say it out loud, in your head or write down “I choose to let go of ____________ because it’s no longer serving me.”
- Personal Mantra When you feel triggered and this old story or belief comes up for you come back to your mantra.
Do this process on one story or feeling at a time, trying to do it with everything story/limiting belief or regret from your past may be too much for you. Focus on one for 30 days, then once you feel like you’ve made some progress focus on another one and so on.
This process is potent, if you do it regularly, it will serve you in more than one ways.